I'm having such a fun time learning and using the Janome 500E embroidery machine to finish or add interest to my sewn pieces, even after they are machine quilted. I wanted to share some of the tips and supplies I have been using to add beautiful touches to my projects.
Built-in quilting designs add interest to this fuzzy cut fabric square.
1. I use a sticky, wash away stabilizer; it makes embroidering easier by eliminating the need to hoop thick fabric layers or stressing machine hoops. It is a great tool and washes away!
Built in Quilting Designs used on the table runner below.
Another reason I love the sticky, wash away stabilizer?
It's very helpful when embroidering on difficult fabrics like denim.
For the apron below I used both sticky fabric sulvy and tear away stabilizer to make sure that the denim was well stabilized. Look at those beautiful stitches :)
2. To achieve a polished look, I switched my bobbin thread to either gray or black embroidery thread. I find that gray blends well with a myriad of fabric colors. The designs look great on both sides of the quilted projects.
3. Clean your machine after each project!
4. Use embroidery designs or use the alphabet to personalize memory quilts such as T-shirt Quilts.
If you like to embroider on the T-shirt material, stabilize the knit fabrics with a knit stabilizer. I like a product called Fusible Polymesh and use it on both wovens and knits.
5. and....Change your needle often
The Janome 500E is versatile, fun and user friendly; I learn something new every time I use it and look forward to sharing more tips in the future.
Cheers for a great week!